2. Swedish economist and socialist Assar Lindbeck commented years ago that, “In many cases rent control appears to be the most efficient technique presently known to destroy a city—except for bombing.”
Exhibit A: Scores of people were feared trapped or dead after a five-story residential building collapsed early Friday morning, the fifth deadly collapse this year in and around Mumbai. [One] problem is rent-control rules that allow tenants to live in apartments for a few dollars a month and even pass those rights on to their descendants, giving landlords little incentive to invest in building maintenance. (HT: Vivek Mehta)
3. Due to rising demand and tight supplies for certain drivetrain engine parts, GM can’t make enough of the most popular versions of its new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. GM is having to limit how many trucks dealers can order. (HT: Robert Kuehl)
4. The Great American Energy Boom: There’s more oil and gas underneath South Texas than just the Eagle Ford. Drillers in the region are exploring nearby formations and in some cases striking big finds. Peak what?
5. Proclamation of Amnesty and Pardon Granted to All Persons of European Descent, from Professor Walter E. Williams, Gracious and Generous Grantor.
Obamacare (Unaffordable Care Act) Updates
7. From Investor’s Business Daily: The List of Employers Cutting Jobs and Hours Due to ObamaCare Employer Mandate Rises to 313
8. Here’s an interactive map where you can find out how Obamacare affects insurance rates in your state that accompanies this article “Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women” in Forbes by Avik Roy.