One of the most penetrating analyses of the state of America’s finances is USA Inc. by technology analyst Mary Meeker. It’s an amazing, chart-tastic presentation. The stuff on Medicare is particularly good:
1. If you don’t deal with Medicare and other entitlements, the rest doesn’t much matter.
2. Where’s all the money going? Right to healthcare.
3. Did I mention the need to cut entitlement spending?
4. Costs have exploded as payments and patients have increased.
5. We also spend a lot compared to other countries.
6. And our return on investment isn’t so good.
7. Will Obamacare save money? The history of Medicare shows there is great reason to doubt it will.
Here is your Medicare bottom line: